About the author : Daniel Griffith
Daniel is an Author, Designer, and Entrepreneur. With over 10 years of industry experience, Daniel utilizes his unique blend of mathematics and poetry, engineering and creative thinking to solve both technical and business challenges to ultimately co-create the world he wants to live in.
March 30th is approaching fast! Is your page ready for the change to Facebook Timeline?
Before you publish your Timeline in a panic, keep calm and be sure to go over the checklist below. If applicable, address and understand each of the items in this list, then take a few stress relievers for the anxiety. 🙂
- Change your Profile image to a square version of your logo
- Gone are the days of the tall, vertical profile banners
- Make sure there is enough padding around your logo to fit nicely inside of the thumbnail seen on your fans’ News Feeds.
- Set a Facebook Cover
- 851px x 315px graphic
- Use the highest resolution possible (300 dpi +)
- Great ideas include:
- Your best work
- A collage of your portfolio
- Your storefront at your location
- A screenshot of a Google Map of your location
- Your friendly staff
- A photo from a recent event/trade show
- Check out our timeline cover as an example
- CANNOT include any calls to action, price or purchase info, or contact information
- CAN include your tagline, mission statement
- Keep your Timeline Cover fresh by changing it often. Your fans will visit your Timeline more frequently and see the rest of your hard work!
- Choose which 3 applications to display at the top of the Timeline
- Click the “+” icon to add or change the order of these apps
- Photos is the default #1 slot
- Other can include: Events, Videos, Likes, Notes, and Custom Applications (formerly “Tabs”)
- Add custom images to Facebook Applications
- Facebook now refers to “Tabs” as “Apps” and will display up to 3 custom Apps at the top of the Timeline
- Once you’ve added your apps, customize the icon that is displayed with a new photo or graphic.
- Highlight popular posts
- Click the “Star” in the upper right corner to make a post full-width of the Timeline
- Great for enlarging single photos or videos, positive testimonials and popular posts
- Pin posts you want to feature to the top
- Click the “pencil” icon in the upper right corner and select “Pin to Top”
- You can only pin one post to the top at a time
- Last for up to 7 days
- Great for entire photo albums,
- Ensure the “About” section is filled out and provides a good, clear summary of the company
- Include a URL at the beginning for an easy lead opportunity.
- Use keywords your customers use, rather than industry-related buzz words
- Keep it short and sweet
- Add company “Milestones” to the Timeline from you web site’s history page
- When the company was founded
- Company acquisitions
- Popular product introductions
- Make sure to add photos to your milestones
Congrats, you are now ready to publish your Timeline! Click “Publish” and you’re off and running! Get a cold drink and take a break, job well done.